Foundations Class #2
Levels of Change
Starts with two stories...
1. True Story. He had driven out to help his aunt who had a flat tire. He used a metric lug wrench on an American car, it wouldn't work so he forced it, stripping out all the lugs. He used the wrong tools to try to fix the problem and trying harder made it worse.
2. Potty Training Parable. You have an infant and shortly after you realize that the child needs his/her diaper changed. So you change it and it gets dirty again, and you change it, and it gets dirty again... Constant change but nothing changes. Then you get a higher order of change. Potty training. Once the child is potty trained you no longer have to change the messes anymore. A higher order of change has over-ridden the former things.
It is this type of change we are referring to with "Levels" of change. Not levels as in: When I pass 1st grade I will be in 2nd grade. It's not linear change, progressive change, rather it is higher order. Each order builds on itself and affects the order below. Ultimately if you achieve the highest level of change the other levels will fall in line with that.
The first level of change is: Environment, and Experience through Environment.
I just need a better job, better spouse, better house, better church, bigger nose, smaller nose... I just need to be taller or shorter....
The fallacy is that if we could just change the things outside of us, everything in our lives would work. Where ever you go, there you are.
"If we believe that changing our environment will have anything to do with setting us free we are already in bondage to that belief." Paul sat in a prison cell in absolute freedom. Circumstance cannot dictate your freedom or lack thereof. Freedom is becoming who you were created to be, regardless of the circumstance you are in.
Back in AA we used to call this the Geographical Cure.
Characterized by: "If Only..."
*The teachings of this class are not my own, they are derived from notes I took during a class at Gateway Church. You may view the class on their website by following the link at the top of the page.
By Darrell Wolfe
FOR MY FULL DISCLAIMER: See my "Start Here About" page. Click Here
* Information here is As-Is. These are the opinions of a fellow traveler and seeker of truth. I am not a doctor, lawyer, licensed financial advisor, tax preparer, etc, etc... I'm just one guy, sharing what he's learned. As such, the information may be as true or faulty as the guy on the buss stop giving you directions. If you need accurate information I encourage you to seek the help of a professional in your field.
* I do make money from this blog. 1 Tim 5:18 says the worker is worthy of his wages. I do earn affiliate commissions or freebies from some of the products I discuss at various points on this blog. Regardless I only suggest things that have personally helped me, or someone I know. If you click on an "Affiliate Link" and you buy something I'll get a cut. Thanks for your support!
* I am a conservative Christian. I write from a bible-centric point of view. I welcome people from other points of view to jump into the conversation. If you don't like bible-centric writing: I encourage you not to read my posts.... Unless you want to learn something new.
* In all you do: Live Long and Prosper, with GOOD SUCCESS!
Thank you, Darrell Wolfe