If you don't deal with a small problem, it can create bigger ones!
In this article you will find out what the problem was, how I fixed it, and how you can be inspired to find a simple solution to your life's complicated problems too.
|Attribution: Darrell G. Wolfe www.DarrellWolfe.Com|
A Short Story, Pun Intended:
So I bought a 2001 Honda Odyssey and the radio was out because the fuse was blown. It had 230,000 miles and it was in good condition otherwise. I figured the fuse just blew because it was out there sitting for awhile. Didn't think much of it, put a new fuse in. The radio worked again, all was well.
Or so I thought...
Then, over the last year, the weirdest things would happen with fuses. Several fuses, four specific ones, would blow at different times and for no apparent reason. They all seemed to be unrelated.
All would be fine for days, weeks, months, and then another would blow, unexpectedly. This last week I had three fuses all next to each other keep blowing out.
I found some articles earlier this year from help forum posts online talking about this common theme of "Radio Fuses" blowing in Honda Minivans. Like this one: Click Here.
Many indicated that Honda minivans, being owned by families with small kids, are notorious for having loose coins being placed into the CD slot by those small kids.
I thought to myself... "No, it couldn't be that simple".
I took it apart months ago, didn't hear anything jiggling, put it back together.
But, now my lights won't work and that's dangerous at night and it's my only car. The light fuse keeps blowing. Even putting a new fuse in blows before I get it in all the way.
So now after a year of wondering I finally took pieces of my car apart looking for bare wire, maybe something in a door area got the wires bent? Nothing. More looking. Nothing.
I'm still having issues and I thought "let me look at that radio again since so many say that was their problem."
Sure enough. I hand the CD player to my wife and she pops the lid and out drops a Penny.
Who are these children of the world putting coins into CD players?
One little penny caused all these problems. I went though +/- $50 in fuses in the last year, over one penny!
I put everything back together and that's been two days. The radio works again and all is well. The car ever RUNS smoother!
I also learned that another type of fuse (called a thermal cut off) inside the "Transistor Assembly" for the air conditioner blew (I tested it). Turns out I can replace that piece by soldering a new one for MUCH less than buying a whole new assembly.
It probably blew because of the Penny Too!
So the engine that was running rough is fixed, my fuses are all fixed, the air conditioner will be fixed shortly... all because of ONE PENNY!
Penny For Your Thoughts - Where Is Your Short?So here are the thoughts I've been left with.
- What other things in my spiritual, mental, emotional life are causing shorts?
- What pesky little things am I allowing to clog up my life, steal my time and/or joy, and cause other "seemingly unrelated" things to short out?
- Am I allowing bitterness at an uncomfortable situation to short circuit my home/family life?
- Am I allowing my past to prevent me from pursuing my future?
- Am I allowing feelings of inadequacy to prevent me from giving my all to this very blog, or delay posting because I don't feel it will be great?
"Catch the foxes for us, The little foxes that are ruining the vineyards..." Song of Solomon 2:15
I had a mentor, Cliff, back in California tell me that he used to be asked into departments of businesses that weren't running well. The last half of his entire career was turning failing departments and whole business around and making them profitable. His boss realized that Cliff just had this knack for finding the problem and fixing it in record time.
He told me that:
No Problem, of any size, has a complicated solution. It's always a failure of the basics.
So... what basics are you missing today?
This Weeks Resource:
Here is a book you could take a look at to find simple solutions to complicated problems. It's a study of businesses, but I found great personal insight in it for running a life. I saw a friendly security guard reading it the other day, I thought that this is a great resource for you too!
- Level 5 Leadership: A surprising style, required for greatness.
- The Hedgehog Concept: Finding your three circles, to transcend the curse of competence.
- A Culture of Discipline: The alchemy of great results.
- Technology Accelerators: How good-to-great companies think differently about technology.
- The Flywheel and the Doom Loop: Why those who do radical restructuring fail to make the leap.
I now leave YOU with this thought too...
What Is The Penny In Your Life?
To Respond: Leave a comment on this post
By Darrell Wolfe
Please Share on your favorite social media site!
FOR MY FULL DISCLAIMER: See my "Start Here About" page. Click Here
* Information here is As-Is. These are the opinions of a fellow traveler and seeker of truth. I am not a doctor, lawyer, licensed financial advisor, tax preparer, etc, etc... I'm just one guy, sharing what he's learned. As such, the information may be as true or faulty as the guy on the buss stop giving you directions. If you need accurate information I encourage you to seek the help of a professional in your field.
* I do make money from this blog. 1 Tim 5:18 says the worker is worthy of his wages. I do earn affiliate commissions or freebies from some of the products I discuss at various points on this blog. Regardless I only suggest things that have personally helped me, or someone I know. If you click on an "Affiliate Link" and you buy something I'll get a cut. Thanks for your support!
* I am a conservative Christian. I write from a bible-centric point of view. I welcome people from other points of view to jump into the conversation. If you don't like bible-centric writing: I encourage you not to read my posts.... Unless you want to learn something new.
* In all you do: Live Long and Prosper, with GOOD SUCCESS!
Thank you, Darrell Wolfe