Here are few of the changes I went through on this draft:
TitleOld Title: The Tower
New Title: Distortion
I made this change because I was starting to think about branding. If I'm going to have a series calls White Noise, then I could start to incorporate the "Audio" theme throughout the series.
- I chose working titles with Audio themes
- I chose cover design based on Audio themes
- I chose some (but not all) of the Scene/Chapter headings to be Audio themed.
Grammar | GrammarlyBIG thank you for Grammarly! I wrote my final rough draft in Scrivener. I'm an Edit-As-You-Go writer, so there were already multiple edits throughout the process before I got to the official "First Draft".
I then downloaded the first draft previously posted here into Microsoft Word. I downloaded the Grammarly Extension for Word and used it to edit my draft. Aside from the mistakes (using the wrong word entirely during the writing phase), there were several recurring themes.
Grammarly found the following COMMON mistakes in my writing (most of the 396 items it found fell into these three categories).
- Incorrect use of coma. I was using a coma before a conjuction
- Incorrect: This, and that.
- Correct: This and that.
- Missing coma. I was missing the coma before an intro phrase or before addressing a name. Or ending a sentence inside the dialoguge, but continuing my summary.
- Correct: Eventually, xxxxx
- Correct: This way, Dr. Brair.
- Correct: "Sure thing," Jazmin said.
- Incorrect: "Sure thing." Jazming said.
- Not combining words (leaving them as seperate words) like:
- low class vs low-class
- half real vs half-real
- other worldly vs otherworldly
- foot falls vs footfalls
- stair well vs stairwell
- 11th floor vs 11th-floor
- rag doll vs ragdoll
- side arm vs sidearm
- in to vs into
Without further ado... my Second Draft:
“Maybe? Let’s not jump to any conclusions yet. What do you do next?" Ash sat back in his chair.
“You can’t know that. Street gangs are not known for their quick wit and logic. Not in any country.”
Storyteller | Creative | INFJ | Intellection | Ideation | Input | Learner | Achiever | Multipotentialite
- See my full about page and disclosures: Click Here.
- Also check out my Resources and Suggestions for writers (here).
- To Subscribe to the RSS: Click Here
- For Non-Fiction writing by Darrell Wolfe: Click Here