Ted Dekker (my favorite author) created a writing course called The Creaive Way; which is an online course sounds like an awesome investment, but I don't have that money, not even by a long shot. However, in his free introductory videos he gave the keys (combined with what I've already learned) that I think I need for now.
What is story? Story is a series of events involving worthy characters who change (are transformed) as a result of those events.
Without transformation you don't have a story, you just have a series of events.
Use the writing process to explore a fundamental question, and facilitate transformation in your own life. That transformation will bleed onto the page, and your reader will be transformed too.
If you as a writer are not changing as a result of your characters' journey, you didn't write a story worth reading.
The Fictive Bubble holds your story. Take your reader into the bubble, keep them in the bubble the whole time.
While in the bubble, your character will take a journey from where is today (on a hill) to where he wants to be (the hill on the other side) and he needs a path through the foggy valley between.
That path must be clear to you, you are your character's muse or guide. He will hit seven way points.
- In the first few pages, introduce your reader to the protagonist and his/her world.
- The event that forces the protag into the story, with a clear goal.
- There my be a clear, specifc threat.
- Your protag tries a series of solutions, and fails.
- Things seem to go well, and all hope is lost.
- Something BIG has to happen, or all is lost.
- Subtle changes. Character is wrestling through, lost in the fog.
- A major change in your characters perspective.
- Small changes came before now, but this is a major change for your character. The path is now clear. May come at a cost.
- Antagonist overcome, goal reached.
- One last scene to show how the character's world turned out.
- Celbrating his victory. One scne, or less than a full scene.
- Hint at the future?
Storyteller | Creative | INFJ | Intellection | Ideation | Input | Learner | Achiever | Multipotentialite
- See my full about page and disclosures: Click Here.
- Also check out my Resources and Suggestions for writers (here).
- To Subscribe to the RSS: Click Here
- For Non-Fiction writing by Darrell Wolfe: Click Here